Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Outpost - Melbourne

Hit and Miss
At a small cafe named The Outpost in the South Yarra suburb of Melbourne, Australia, I kicked off two weeks of anti-work, otherwise known as vacation.  This is the kind of place I wanted to love but couldn't completely - it is a mix of good and not-so-good.  My scrambled with black truffles should've been a deal-maker but they were suprisingly bland.  They looked so beautiful that I chewed and chewed, patiently waiting for something to happen.  Nothing did.  Dash of salt, bit of pepper, still nothing.
Puffin made the right call - stacks of french toast strips with carmelized walnuts and bacon on top.  Absolutely excellent.  I, of a chivalrous nature, gladly helped her out with this daunting pile of food.  It was the least I could do.
This is a lovely place, a small triangle with high ceilings, an open kitchen and seating for 5-6 people.  There is a separate dining room as well.  We sat next to the barista and watched him take his sweet time creating each cup.  I didn't find the coffee especially outstanding, however, I say that acknowledging Melbourne's already high standard for coffee.  There are cafes and coffee stalls dotting this city.
The crew were friendly and hard-working, though a tad slow.  To be fair, the slowness appeared to be due to their desire to craft each latte and plate of food with attention to detail.  If it weren't for the eggs, I would have given this place an unabashed thumbs up.
9 Yarra St
South Yarra
Victoria, Australia

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

6 comments:

  1. Oooh! You guys are back in Australia! Welcome back! :) Will you make it to Adelaide this time around? It's just a 45 minute plane ride away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cewek - nope, not this trip. But, we are getting closer and closer....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this place! The french toast was definitely a winner... I found the coffee good too.

    If I had bigger stomach, then I would order some fresh raisins croissant thingy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dodo, stop lying to your readers, you DO have a bigger stomach, wahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. would be better if they bought back Pla, we miss her :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anon - who is Pla? Is it one of the people in my photos?

    ReplyDelete