Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tong Pak Fu - Hong Kong

Taiwanese Snowflake Ice
If you don't know, it's hot in Hong Kong. That special kind of funky, swampy, dirty, NY in summer type heat. So, when you get a chance to have something icy and cool, you jump at it. Puffin saw someone eating a mound of this shaved ice dessert from the street so we decided to check it out.

I'd describe it as half-way between ice and ice cream. Apparently, the ice is flavored first, then shaved into a large mound. You can arrange for all kinds of odd combos. If I remember correctly, Puffin got chocolate ice, with peanuts, mangoes, strawberries and condensed milk. It was pretty good, lighter than ice cream, tons of flavor and didn't leave me feeling weighed down. A nice combo in the heat.

Good luck filling out the shaved iced form if you don't read Chinese.... Yep, another benefit of dating the Puffin. It goes both ways though, one time in Paris she almost ordered a smelly-gut sausage but luckily I was there to save her from that mistake.
I got an order of mango-sago-pomelo, a typical Cantonese cold dessert made from mango puree, pomelo, sago pearls (like tapioca pearls), coconut milk and sugar. You eat it with a spoon like a soup or a pudding. I liked this a LOT. It had a lot of pomelo, giving it a sharp, tart bite.

As I chewed, Puffin told me she would take me to get a better, famous version, but all I heard was "wah-wah-wah, wah-wuhhh-wahh-wah-wahhhhh." I mean, I had my head down and was spooning like it was the last meal before my execution.

When I was done, I took a look around. Turns out, everyone else was doing the same exact thing.

38 Jardine's Bazaar
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

3 comments:

  1. I have to say I enjoyed the shaved ice. I wasn't expecting much but the choc was rich tasting enough and the fruits with condense milk was a good combi.

    Close fight between this and GoGo Yoghurt that I had... :) Miss HK already

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya,

    Just to let you know Tong Pak Fu is available in Malaysia now. Today is our opening at Sunway Giza Mall. KLCC outlet will be opening soon after Raya. Like us on FB www.facebook.com/tongpakfu.my yea.

    Regards,
    Tong Pak Fu Malaysia

    ReplyDelete