Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Walnut Bakery and Cafe - Jakarta

I Went in to Get a Coffee....
I walked around for some time in downtown Jakarta in the grimy heat and strangely was craving a hot coffee. This classy-looking bakery/cafe had air conditioning to boot, so it was an easy sell for me. Plans changed once I saw this plate-full of good looking grub at a nearby table and asked for a plate for myself. This is Nasi Goreng Kampung a Malaysian dish which is sometimes known as "village fried rice."

This version had anchovies and mackerel and included a fried egg and two meatballs on a stick (sorry, don't know what those are called.) I downed this whole plate in less than 5 minutes and then sat back in my chair and people-watched out the window for an hour. Next up, some authentic Indonesian food.

Ciputra Mall
Jakarta

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently in Jakarta too (arrived on Christmas day) and yesterday we ate at tesate in Plaza Senayan. This restaurant is highly recommended! There were 7 of us and the bill came to just under AUD100. The decor was fab and the food was just yum!

    Another great restaurant is from the Singaporean Crystal Jade group; the Crystal Jade Palace Restaurant at the Grand Indonesia mall. We had yumcha there. My husband is Malaysian Chinese and he loves xiao long bao, so we'd ordered that and he was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the xiao long bao. The setting is quite classy and the service was top notch!

    Today we'll be searching for MOS burger. Apparently there is one at Pondok Indah Mall 2. So we'll probably head there for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cewek - wow, what a small world, huh? We were only there for 2 days but enjoyed it. Got a few more Jakarta posts coming. I may need you to add some info in the comments - I don't know exactly what I ate....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in KL last week and ordered a Nasi Goreng... didn't turn out looking as nice as yours. Wish I got to try this :(

    ReplyDelete