Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ruston's Diner - Syracuse

Some Have Accused me Of Fanciness
I grew up in Syracuse, a pretty regular, small city in central New York. I came back for a x-mas visit and was confronted: any spots up here getting on your fancy list? Huh, Mr. Paris Fancy-Pants? (Or at least, that is how it sounded to me.) I happen to think that there is quite a bit of good food up here, especially the diner variety. Case in point is Ruston's, a small diner that doesn't have a weakness on the menu. If you go more than a few times the waitresses remember you, how you like your coffee and what your "usual" is. Today I tried something I'd never had before: home fries smothered in brown gravy. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say.


Next up, an old favorite: a blueberry muffin, split, grilled till toasty warm and smothered with butter. Can you see the crystallized sugar on top? Simply genius. I've tried this all over the place in the U.S. and I haven't found a better one.

The piece de resistance? Throw in a bottomless cup of joe and it all comes to less than $5! One cup of coffee in Paris costs more than this, so it was a real treat to spend so little.

The place even opens at 5am. You cannot beat it.

6293 Jamesville Toll Rd
Jamesville, NY

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

2 comments:

  1. What can I say.. jealous!! During the short time I spent in Syracuse, I remember all my breakfasts being yummy.... the sandwich, the homefries, the muffin, the banana bread etc etc.... :)

    ReplyDelete